Sunday, June 1, 2008

Out of the Frying Pan...

And into this hot ass, dry weather. Don't get me wrong, this beats 60 and rainy any day back home in GTown, but what makes it so bad is that its hard to get around. As a matter of fact, it seems as if exercise is FROWNED upon down here. There are no sidewalks, no crosswalks, BBQ every 38 feet and a bus that comes as often as the Olympics do.

The Academy (all two days of it) has been pretty cool to say the least. I've always been kinda interested in aviation since I was a youngin in Memphis (and dad used to beat my butt for breaking his model planes). People have no idea how mucn of an areonautics nerd I really am. I went to Space Camp (remember that movie?) when I was nine. I can give an impromptu and thorough tour of the exhibits at the National Air and Space museum, as well as give you the names of each and every one of the Mercury Seven (10 trillion cool points to those who know who they are). I vividly remember January of 86' when Challenger went down as well as Columbia.

In class, we got a big, government looking catalog with our lesson plan in it, and it's heavy. Luckily, I met two brothers from my class that live near me on North Meridian, Carl and Tyrone ....we already had a Cavs-Wizards argument, but I found out later he's a Nupe (small world huh) so he was forgiven.

Let's see, Friday night, we hit up one of those shady looking pool halls you'd see on TV. It was weird because when we walked in, the country music stopped.....and we got "the stare" (think country bar scene from 48 hours). Nothing major happened, we played a few games, downed some brews and rolled out to watch the Celtics beat on Detroit (they refused to switch from PBR).

Didn't do anything else really....COULDN'T do anything else. I hiked to the grocery store (where they DON'T believe in plastics bags), and stayed here to get some studying in. My first test is on Thursday, so I'm gearing up for WAAAAAARRR! lol.....not really, but that's how I'm taking this one. I didn't come all the way down here to lose...I'm trying to win the belt from the FAA, and Imma make it happen. YOU WATCH!

1 comment:

M.C. said...

See this is why we can't take you anywhere. Three brothas chilling at the local pool hall in OKC!!! That just sounds like the opening chapter to a mystery novel.

Wow B, I had no idea that you were into aeronautics. I can proudly say I know who the Mercury 7 are, but don't know them by name.

As for your fellow nupe that's a LBJ witness, you should ask him if he also likes Duke, that way the picture will be complete...LOL!